90% Oppose Lockout: Gov Survey
By Andrew Starke
Almost 90 percent of people responding to a Queensland Government poll were opposed to its 2am lockout proposal, with 65 percent of respondents between 18 and 25 years old.
The recent online survey has prompted a special youth forum to discuss alcohol-related violence.
Minister responsible for liquor regulation, Peter Lawlor MP, said the forum, to be held in Brisbane, would provide an opportunity for young people to voice their opinions to the Government face-to-face.
“More than 16,000 people responded to our online consultation, promoted on the Government’s ‘get involved’ website – and 65 percent of respondents were 18-25 years of age,” said Minister Lawlor.
“Considering the clear passion for the issue and that young people have a stake in any changes to Queensland’s nightlife, it’s important to gain their perspective before any decisions are made.”
The one-off forum will be held on Wednesday June 23 in Brisbane with youth advocacy groups, university guilds, PCYC and youth parliament representatives.
Last year Premier Anna Bligh announced a Parliamentary inquiry into alcohol-related violence.
The Law and Justice Safety Committee released a report in March 2010, which made 68 recommendations to address the issue.
“The online consultation has been pretty clear – more than half of respondents said they support Government intervention to improve safety in our entertainment precincts,” said Lawlor.
“Many respondents were supportive of committee proposals such as patron bans, increased transport and police presence and the introduction of ID scanning and CCTV.
“However, almost 90 per cent of people opposed the 2am lockout proposal, so this is a key issue to discuss at the forum.”
Lawlor will present the results of the initial online community consultation, which closed in April, and then discuss possible solutions and desired outcomes with forum participants.
The Queensland Government will announce its final response later this year.