The Australian Hotels Association WA (AHA WA) has named the winners of its 2017 AHA-Aon Hospitality Awards for Excellence.
The awards recognise the hard work done, innovation and outstanding service from all the state’s hotels, pubs, bars, restaurants, and tourism venues.
AHA WA CEO, Bradley Woods, said it’s been a challenging year for some in the hospitality industry, but the dedication of owners, managers and staff is unwavering.
“WA’s hospitality leaders and employees who attended the gala ball all know what it means to work hard, to put in long hours and to go above and beyond delivering first-class food and beverage, accommodation and service.
“WA’s vibrant hospitality industry is a reality thanks to the courage and entrepreneurship of small to large business owners who have made significant investments in the future of our state.
“The hotel and hospitality industry supports our state not only at a macro level but right down to the grass roots – where businesses support local communities, the economy and jobs,” said Woods.
There were 42 award categories including WA’s Best Regional Hospitality Venue which went to Settlers Tavern and Perth’s Best Hospitality Venue which went to The Marina Mindarie. WA’s Best Bar Team and WA’s Best Bar, which went to The Mechanics Institute in Northbridge, and WA’s Best Family Dining, which went to Boston Brewing Co. & Willoughby Park in Denmark. Rosemount Hotel in North Perth took home WA’s Best Live Entertainment Venue. WA’s Best Redeveloped Venue went to the Rose Hotel in Bunbury.
WA’s Best Steak Sandwich was awarded to Karalee on Preston in Como following the preliminary final held in May.
The 2017 AHA WA Award winners:
- Best Community Service Venue – Endeavour Tavern, Lancelin
- Best Bar Presentation and Service Venue – The Queens Tavern, Highgate
- Best Responsible Service of Alcohol Venue – The Breakwater, Hillarys
- Best Training Initiative – Crown Perth, Burswood
- Best Retail Bottleshop – The Botanica Bar & Bistro, Innaloo
- Best Draught Beer Quality – Petition Beer Corner at State Buildings, Perth
- Best Small Bar – The Mechanics’ Institute, Northbridge
- Best Cocktail Bar – Tiki as FK, Northbridge & The Waiting Room at Crown Perth, Burswood
- Best Late Night Venue – The Laneway Lounge, Perth
- Best Environmental Practice – White Lakes Brewing, Baldivis
- Best Tourism Initiative – CORE Cider House, Pickering Brook & Odyssea Beach Café, City Beach
- Best Redeveloped Venue – Rose Hotel, Bunbury
- Best New Venue – Measure Bar, Mount Lawley
- Best Outdoor Area – The Marina Mindarie
- Best Boutique Brewery – Colonial Brewing Company, Margaret River
- Best Conference and Functions – Aloft Perth, Rivervale & The Breakwater, Hillarys
- Outstanding Commitment to Workforce Development Practices Award – Settlers Tavern, Margaret River
- Best Social Media Activity – Universal Bar, Northbridge
- Best Steak Sandwich Award – Karalee on Preston, Como
- Best Contemporary Bar Menu – Blanche Bar, Karratha & Five Bar, Mount Lawley
- Best Casual Pub Dining – Metropolitan – Currambine Bar & Bistro
- Best Casual Pub Dining – Settlers Tavern, Margaret River
- Best Family Dining – Boston Brewing Co. & Willoughby Park, Denmark
- Best Restaurant – Petition Kitchen at State Buildings, Perth & Ria Malay Kitchen, Leederville
- Best Premium Restaurant – Nobu Perth at Crown Perth, Burswood
- Best Wine List – Settlers Tavern, Margaret River & Il Lido Italian Canteen, Cottesloe
- Best TAB Hotel/PubTAB Venue – Eaton Tavern
- Best Sporting Entertainment Venue – The Saint George Hotel, Innaloo & Paddington Alehouse, Mount Hawthorn
- Best Live Entertainment Venue – Rosemount Hotel, North Perth
- Best Themed Venue – Varsity Bar Waterford, Karawara
- Best Cookery Services Employee – Norman Tumbare, Junction Grill at Crown Perth, Burswood
- Best Head Chef – Wendy Miedzinski, Balmoral Hotel, East Victoria Park & Danny Sanchez, The Flour Factory, Perth
- Best Food and Beverage Services Employee – Ryan Fraser, Greenwood Hotel, Greenwood
- Best Front Office and Administration Employee – Kelly Barranger, The Marina Mindarie
- Best PubTAB Operator – Krystal Singer – The Gate Bar & Bistro, Success
- Best Cocktail Bartender – Bjorn Karason, Tiki as FK, Northbridge
- HGT Rising Star Award – Mark Bingley, Greenwood Hotel
- Best Venue Manager – Steve Halliday, C Restaurant & Katie Chan, Long Chim at State Buildings & Fiona Sham, Varnish on King & Elodie Boneyd, Five Bar
- Best Bar Team – The Mechanics Institute, Northbridge
- Best Group Venue Operator – Colonial Leisure Group
- Best Regional Hospitality Venue – Settlers Tavern
- Perth’s Best Hospitality Venue – The Marina Mindarie