The NSW government has announced $20 million in electric vehicle charging grants in regional NSW in a bid to establish Australia’s largest destination charging network.

Up to 3500 electric vehicle (EV) chargers will be rolled out across regional NSW, with the NSW Government offering a co-funded grant ranging from $2000 to $40,000 per site.

A range of destinations can apply for the grants, including hospitality venues and tourist attractions.

The NSW government’s Electric Vehicle Strategy aims to increase EV sales to 52 per cent of all new car sales by 2030-31, and the vast majority by 2035. 

“EVs are growing in popularity and this will help ensure our regional areas have the charging stations needed to welcome EV-driving visitors,” Treasurer and Minister for Energy Matt Kean said.

MG Motor Australia, meanwhile, has announced it will be covering the gap in cost for eligible sites if those venues opt to install an MG EV ChargeHub. 

The NSW Government grant covers 75 per cent towards buying up to four alternating current (AC) destination chargers per site location and MG Motor Australia will cover the remaining 25 per cent if one of its EV chargehubs is purchased and the grant successfully approved.

The grants will be offered on a co-funding basis, with destinations expected to contribute to the cost of installing the charging facilities.

MGs offer builds on its existing subsidy scheme which sees up to 3,000 heavily discounted EV chargers up for grabs for regional hoteliers across the country, with The Carrington in Katoomba already a recipient. 

MG Motor Australia and New Zealand CEO Peter Ciao said, “We want to grow local economies and support small businesses in areas impacted by Covid, bushfires and floods and that’s why we’re filling the gap in cost for our MG EV ChargeHub in conjunction with the NSW Government grant.”

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *