The winners of the 2019 Tasmanian Hospitality Association (THA) and Drysdale Awards for Excellence were announced at a special industry gala dinner.
The standards of professionalism and service in Tasmania’s hospitality is unquestionable, according to THA CEO Steve Old.
“As far as I am aware, the THA is the only association in the country which truly represents the whole of the hospitality industry and has an awards process that encompasses the entire industry – whether a member or not.
“The awards night showcases how important this iconic industry is to the Tasmanian economy – and tourism in general – with more than 22,000 people employed in hospitality in this state.”
The awards saw 570 people attend, which Old said highlighted just how strong and united the state’s Association is.
“It was fantastic to see industry leader Don McQuestin receive THA Life Membership in front of his peers,” Old said.
“Congratulations to Angelo Fraraccio for winning the prestigious Bertie Tucceri Award for service to the restaurant industry and Hamlet Café for receiving the Premier’s Award for contribution to the community.”
Australian Hotels Association National CEO Stephen Ferguson congratulated all finalists and winners.
“Tasmanian hotels really are among the best in the business and this was on display here again at the Awards,” he said.
“From Hobart right through to the regions, hotels across the entire state set a high standard and I would like to congratulate all finalists.”
The winners will go on to the National Australian Hotels Association (AHA) Awards for Excellence on the Gold Coast on Monday, 9 September 2019.
2019 Tasmanian Hospitality Association winners included:
- Premier’s Award for Contribution to the Community – Hamlet Café
- Bertie Tucceri Award – Angelo Fraraccio
- Life Membership – Don McQuestin
- Best Marketed Establishment – Hadley’s Orient Hotel
- Best Bottle Shop – Black Buffalo
- Best RSL, Sporting or Community Club – The Royal Yacht Club of Tasmania
- Best Sports Bar – The Beltana Hotel
- Best Bar Presentation and Service – Hazards Bar & Lounge – Freycinet Lodge
- Draught Beer Quality Award – Beach Hotel Burnie
- Best Music Venue – Watergarden Bar – Country Club Tasmania
- Best Gaming Venue – River Arms Hotel
- Best Wagering Initiative – Shoreline Hotel
- Best Specialty Bar – Evolve Spirit Bar
- Hotel/Pub Tavern of the Year- Regional – Tall Timbers Tasmania
- Hotel/Pub Tavern of the Year – Metro – Shoreline Hotel