The top 10 acts in the Australian Hotels Association NSW’s (AHA NSW) Rockin’ the Puburbs competition have been revealed, with the winner to be named later today.
This is the second year that AHA NSW has run the competition, with almost 200 entries received this year and the winner will receive support of up to $12,000 towards a pub tour arranged by AHA NSW as well as the chance to perform at a Sydney event on Wednesday, 26 September 2018.
The winner will also receive $3000 towards a dedicated tour publicist and a mentoring session with an APRA AMCOS industry ambassador – worth approximately $15,000 in value.
AHA NSW CEO John Whelan, was delighted with the response to this year’s competition.
“We have been overwhelmed with the response to the Rockin’ the Puburbs competition over the last two years,” Whelan said.
“We have received hundreds of quality entries from right across NSW. It’s down to the top 10 with a panel of judges to now choose the winner.”
Whelan added that competition was all about giving something back to the industry.
“This initiative continues the AHA’s strong tradition of support for live music,” he said.
“Many of Australia’s top acts first got their start down at their local and the aim of Rockin’ the Puburbs is to support local talent and give them a leg up in the industry.”
The Top 10 Rockin’ the Puburbs finalists for 2018 are:
- Chasing Giants (pop/rock/R&B/soul) – Newtown
- Dande and the Lion (pop/rock) – Western Suburbs/Northern Beaches
- Fiction Writer (rock) – Sydney
- Grizzlee Train (rock/alternative/Blues and roots) – Central Coast
- Michael Dechesne (pop/alternative/blues/roots/R&B/soul) – Baulkham Hills
- Mooki (electronic/alternative/hip hop/rap) – Rockdale
- Pirra (pop/rock/alternative) – Sydney
- Romi (electronic/rock/folk) – Petersham
- Spruced moose (alternative) – Inner West
- Tullara (Country/pop/rock/alternative/folk/blues/roots) – Ramornie
Last year’s competition was won by punk pop group Rackett from the Northern Beaches.