In Western Australia, along with the opening of the new Busselton Pavilion comes South West Wine Shop, an eclectic wine store with community at its core.

Designed to be an interactive space that highlights Southwestern Australia’s reputation for world-class wine, the store is part of the larger Busselton Pavilion venue precinct from Parker Group.

At the helm of Parker Group Wine Director and Busselton local Cyndal Petty, the handpicked wine selection has been designed to appeal to both traditional and experimental palates and leans heavily into local wine.

Of the bespoke wine range, 85 per cent has been sourced from the surrounding South West region while the remaining 15 per cent has been sourced from top Australian and international producers.

With a team that’s just as passionate about local produce as it is wine, Petty says the staff love nothing more than talking about their favourite drops with visitors.

“We are bubbling with wine knowledge and excitement. Think of South West Wine Shop as a friendly hub roaming with sommeliers full of knowledge, who have the time to talk to guests about our wines so we can recommend the best option for each person who comes through the door.

“We carry everything from easy-drinking pours to funky, small-batch bottles – you may just find your new go-to wine here with us.”

Petty, who has worked around the world as a sommelier, has taken an interesting approach to displaying the wine selection, introducing a concept that she hopes will demystify wine jargon and encourage customers to engage with the knowledgeable team.

Rather than categorising wines by varietal, Petty encourages people to make their selections based on style and characteristics. The range covers fizz, skinsy (skin contact or orange), pink, aromatic (white), mineral (white), fleshy (white), bright (red), juicy (red) and bold (red).

Each day, a number of wines are individually selected to be displayed on a bespoke wine wall, which offers an interactive menu separate to the fridges and shelves, and is available to drink on-site by the glass.

Speaking about the bespoke selection, Petty says: “I have loved seeing the diversity of the wine lovers that have come through the shop so far – there is a huge variety within the community from winemakers searching for excitement through obscure varieties from afar, to those looking for a casual Wednesday vino and a chat with our team.

“It comes back to the idea of humble hospitality that runs through Busselton Pavilion. Everyone who enters South West Wine Shop has a personalised experience tailored to their taste, and it makes me smile to see people coming back regularly to see what new wines we have on the wall for them to have a glass of.”

With a daily selection of by-the-glass options available to sample in-store, Petty hopes that the shop will become a community hub for wine lovers. The in-store selection is complemented by a small bar menu of snacks designed to be eaten with a glass of wine, including house anchovy beignets and sliced saucisson with gribiche and pickles.

In line with the community-minded approach of the broader Busselton Pavilion precinct, South West Wine Shop is set to engage customers with a range of community-based events, which includes Wednesday Wine Club, tasting experiences and meet the winemaker nights.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *