The top 10 finalists for this year’s Australian Patrón Perfectionists Cocktail Competition have been named, after being asked to ‘Paint the World Patrón Paloma’.
The bartenders were asked to create a Patrón Paloma serve worthy of their favourite city, with their cocktail to contain Patrón Reposado, soda water and a balanced cordial, flavoured with grapefruit and inspired by their city of choice. Initial submissions were judged on appeal, appearance, inspiration and originality.
Alex Godfrey, Patrón Tequila Brand Ambassador and Advocacy Execution Executive said: “Travelling to the thirty shortlisted venues and hearing the bartender’s stories about their cocktails and enjoying the incredible drinks has been a wonderful experience.
“Across the country I have been blown away by how the connections of the chosen cities have been brought to life. My bucket list now has many more cities on it.”
The 10 bartenders moving through to the final challenges of the Patrón Perfectionists:
- Benjamin Thomson from The Rechabite in Perth and his cocktail ‘Kintsugi Paloma’
- Finn Sugrue from Nectar in Geelong and his cocktail ‘Repertoire’
- Jarah Retana from El Primo Sanchez in Sydney and his cocktail ‘Ikigai Paloma’
- Kayla Saito from the The Mulberry Group (Hazel, Dessous, La Cantina, Common Ground Project, Liminal) in Melbourne and her cocktail ‘I’iwi’
- Leah Dunnigan from The Baxter Inn in Sydney and her cocktail ‘Scotland’s Yards’
- Martin McConnell from Frog’s Hollow Saloon in Brisbane and his cocktail ‘The Neapolitan Way’
- Nick Corletto from Maybe Mae in Adelaide and his cocktail ‘Shimokita Showdown’
- Samuel Cocks from RE in Sydney and his cocktail ‘Myoho Asari’
- Storm Evans from Cantina OK! in Sydney and his cocktail ‘Palome’
- Tom Opie from Odd Culture in Sydney and his cocktail ‘Stone Hijuelos’
The 10 finalists will now present their entry challenge cocktail in addition to another challenge over two days of final judging in Sydney during November, with the winner announced in mid-November.
The Australian winner will receive $5000, a trip of a lifetime to Hacienda Patrón in 2024 for an experience-filled week with their fellow global finalists, a surprise panel of global mentors, judges, and the Familia Patrón in Atotonilco El Alto, Jalisco, Mexico.