Today, Friday 5 August, is International Beer Day and beer drinkers across Australia are encouraged to raise a glass to local breweries.
Australian beer is widely seen as a great Australian success story with 85 per cent of beer grown here, made here and consumed here, generating $16bn every year for the Australian economy.
In addition brewing is a vital industry for Australian farmers, as in a typical year brewers will purchase around $500m of agricultural products and directly support 3000 farm jobs.
Prime Minister, Anthony Albanese, has said that, “Australia must be a country that makes things.” And John Preston, CEO of the Brewers Association of Australia said there is no finer example of this than the brewing sector.
Preston said: “International Beer Day is a great day to get down to your local for a meal with the family or a beer with your mates and celebrate this wonderful industry.
“Celebrating Australian beer is also about celebrating our farmers who produce the barley and hops that make our beer so special and our hospitality sector which does so much to bring us together.”
Separate to the Brewers Association, hospitality innovator me&u has examined its data to reveal the most popular beers Australains are ordering right now.
The results show Great Northern (Super Crisp) as the most popular beer across the country – taking the top spot in the ACT and NT, second spot in QLD and third in SA for the most purchased beverage.
Local Pale Ale Balter XPA stands out in second spot in NSW and third in VIC. No surprises Queensland brewed XXXX Gold ranked in the top three in QLD as the tried and tested favourite.
These are the top three beers ordered through me&u across each state and territory:
- ACT: Great Northern Super Crisp, Carlton Draught, Balter XPA
- NSW: Corona, Balter XPA, 4 Pines Pale Ale
- NT: Great Northern Super Crisp, Coopers Pale Ale, Carlton Dry
- QLD: Felons Crisp Lager, Great Northern Super Crisp, XXXX Gold
- SA: Hahn Super Dry, Coopers Pale Ale, Great Northern Super Crisp
- TAS: Cascade Lager, Balter XPA, Asahi Super Dry
- VIC: Carlton Draught, Coburg Lager, Balter XPA
- WA: Swan Draught, Carlton Dry, James Squire 150 Lashes Pale Ale.