By Amy Looker
South Australian-based wine company, Constellation Wines, had reason to celebrate following the Royal Adelaide Wine Show last week, picking up two trophies and a swag of gold medals across its portfolio.
Taking home a trophy for the third year in a row, Adelaide Hills winery, Starvedog Lane, received the gong for best Pinot Noir in Show for its 2008 vintage.
This is the first trophy win for the Starvedog Lane Pinot Noir, and winemaker, Glenn Barry, attributes it to locating the best Pinot Noir available.
“It is very rewarding to receive such acknowledgement on our home turf as well as to have the quality of the Adelaide Hills region recognised. I have spent three years dedicating myself to understanding the peaks and valleys of this great region, matching my winemaking to suit each vineyard’s character and to receive this trophy is a great honour”, he said.
Not to be outdone, Hardys was awarded the Vintage Cellars Trophy for the Best Sparkling Wine in Show, for its 2001 Hardys Sir James Tumbarumba Cuvee.
The win adds to the impressive tally being accumulated by the 2001 vintage, which has already received 10 trophies and 17 gold medals.
“The success of the Hardys Sir James Tumbarumba Cuvée, including the current release 2000 vintage, is fitting recognition for the talented group of grape growers and viticulturists we have contributing to this wine, as well as our sparkling winemaking team,” said Hardys winemaker, Paul Lapsley.
Further gold medals awarded to wines in the Constellation portfolio include:
– Arras Vintage Sparkling Pinot Noir Chardonnay 2004
– Bay of Fires Pinot Noir 2008
– Chateau Reynella Cabernet 2006
– Chateau Reynella Shiraz 2006
– Goundrey-G Sauvignon Blanc Semillon
– Hardys HRB | D638 Chardonnay 2007
– Hardys Eileen Hardy Chardonnay 2006
– Hardys Oomoo Grenache Shiraz Mouvedre 2006
– Hardys Apera Amontillado NV (18 years)
– Hardys Black Bottle Brandy NV (3 years)
– Houghton Wisdom Pemberton Sparkling Chardonnay Pinot Noir 2006
– Houghton Wisdom Pemberton Sauvignon Blanc 2009
– Leasingham Bin 61 Shiraz 2006
– Leasingham Classic Clare Cabernet 2006
– Starvedog Lane Sparkling Chardonnay Pinot Noir Pinot Meunier 2004
– Starvedog Lane Shiraz Viognier 2007
– Starvedog Lane Shiraz Viognier 2008