By Annette Shailer, editor Beer & Brewer
Modus Operandi from Sydney's Northern Beaches has launched its first limited release seasonal beer in 500ml cans.
“We are very passionate and proud of our core range, but we still like to stretch our legs by creating seasonal brews,” Modus Operandi co-founder Jaz Wearin told Beer & Brewer.
“It’s very easy to fall into the trap of just pumping out your core range because of demand, but we like to keep our brewers and our customers excited about a range of different beer styles.
“In the past these special one-off brews have only been available at the brewery and a few select venues…but with the recent installation of our canning machine we are now able to can off the seasonal tank straight into cans and out to independent bottle-o’s within the week!”
The first seasonal beer, which will hit shelves this week, is Black Lab Milk Stout, named in honour of Modus’ black Labrador brewery dog, Stout.
“This was brewed just once last year and was received so well that we knew this was the right brew to kick off our limited release range. With a delicious thick brown head releasing rich chocolate notes on the nose, followed up by a smooth milky flavour, it is the perfect winter beer!” Wearin explained.
Black Lab Milk Stout is available from the following bottle shops:
- North Sydney: Bilgola Cellars, Porters Liquor Hornsby Heights, Winehaven, Belrose Hotel Liquor Superstore, Porter’s Liquor Balgowlah, Cromer Cellars, The WINE Store, Porter’s Liquor Wahroonga, Toms Cellars
- South Sydney: Lugarno Cellars
- Inner West Sydney: Platinum Liquor, Growler Depot
- City Sydney: The Oak Barrel
- East Sydney: Robin Hood Hotel
- Newcastle: The Bottle-O Lambton
- Central Coast: Old Field Cellars, Gosford
- Blue Mountains: Chambers Cellars Springwood, Chambers Cellars Blaxland and Leura Cellars
- There are also limited amounts of Black Lab on tap at the following venues:
- The Tudor Hotel, Redfern
- Local Taphouse, St Kilda
- The Scratch Bar, Brisbane
- Warners at the Bay, Lake Macquarie
- Modus Operandi Brewery, Mona Vale