The Mr Black Spirits Company are coffee roasters, distillers and producers of the world’s leading coffee liqueur. Launched in 2013 by co-founders Philip Moore and Tom Baker, Mr Black brings the flavour of nuanced, heavily caffeinated specialty coffee to the nightlife.
In three short years Mr Black has found its way to the rail and shelf of some of the finest bars, specialty coffee shops and restaurants throughout Australia and the UK. We’re humbled by our success to date, but insatiably hungry for more.
The Role: Trade Sales and Advocacy
Mr Black is seeking a seasoned drinks professional to work with our local distributors to plan, execute and evaluate a targeted on-trade sales strategy for our award winning coffee liqueur. We’ll look to you to build a brand that’s not only loved by the bar trade, but serious coffee drinkers throughout the world.
• Together with founder, help translate brand Mr Black into a plan for Australian capitals.
• Working with local distributor to ensure brand plan is being delivered and distributor team is being supported.
• Personalise brand training to suit a wide variety of on and off trade accounts
• Ensure margin optimization for the entire value chain
• Management of local on trade marketing budget.
• Own the relationship with your top accounts in your market, by creating tailored support plans.
• Maintain accurate call records & outlet contact details
We are looking for a candidate with 4+ years of relevant experience who meets the following criteria.
• A love for coffee and spirits. Know your cold-drip from your Chemex, Martini from your Martinez. You will be an active member of the Australia drinks industry.
• Entrepreneurial and self-starting. You will have the responsibility (and a large degree of autonomy) over the on-trade strategy. It’s on you to plan, execute, and own the results.
• Commercially minded. You have proven experience in managing budgets across channels and using numbers to make recommendations for the business.
• Brutally organised. Planning is your middle name. You dream only of sharp pencils and clipboards. Smashing deadlines (and leading your team to do the same) is what gets you up in the morning.
• Charisma. You’re a people person with bags of charm. You can hold a room.
Ideally, you’ll have:
• A minimum of 4 years of relevant professional experience.
• Educated to a minimum bachelor degree level.
• Managed distributors and wholesalers, working across multiple markets.
• Delivered growth via a multi-market and multi route to market plan in the drinks industry
In return, we will lovingly give you:
• Ownership and autonomy in your role.
• Progression. We’re on a rapid path of global growth and need people who want to join us on the journey.
• Great perks. A killer working environment (with the best view in Sydney), flexible working hours, a fridge full of icy cold beer, an occasional pat on the back, and regular trips to our top accounts.
For the right soul, this is an exciting (and rare) opportunity to be involved in the early days of a start-up drinks company.
• Based in North Sydney.
• This job will involve national travel.
• Salary commensurate with experience.
• The role is full-time and will require weekend and evening work.
How to Apply
Please email resume and cover letter to email@example.com. In your cover letter, please tell us (in 25 words or less) the single best piece of on-trade marketing activity you’ve seen from a spirits brand in the last two years.