The twelve scholars of the 2023 Len Evans Tutorial (LET) have been announced, selected from a record-breaking pool of over 180 candidates.
Founded in 2001 by esteemed wine judge Len Evans, the LET is highly regarded and often said to be ‘the greatest wine school on earth’.
The 2023 students are:
- Steve Baraglia – Chief Winemaker, Pikes Wines, Pike & Joyce Wines, Naked Run, SA
- Andre Bondar – Owner and Winemaker, Bondar Wines, SA
- Emma Farrelly – Director of Wine, The State Buildings, Como The Treasury, WA
- Jack Glover – Marketing Director, Accolade Wines, NSW
- Liz Heidenreich – Winemaker, Liz Heidenreich Wines, Peter Teakle Wines, SA
- Louella Mathews – Group Sommelier, Trippas White Group, NSW
- Kaylene Reynolds – Sales, Marketing and Education, Prince Wine Store, Vic
- Tim Shand – Chief Winemaker, Voyager Estate, WA
- Kate Sturgess – Winemaker, Brokenwood Wines, NSW
- Alister Timms – Winemaker, Shadowfax Winery, Vic
- Matthew Paul Turnbull – Owner, A Good Bunch, SA
- Penelope Vine – Head Sommelier, Trader House (Cutler & Co and Marion), Vic
The scholars will attend the LET in the Hunter Valley from 30 October to 3 November 2023, with tuition, accommodation, travel, wine and food covered by sponsors and donors. The LET is entirely donation and sponsor funded, with tutors and pourers volunteering their time each year to run the Tutorial.
Previous LET scholars have gone on to become wine show chairs, senior wine judges, and industry leaders. Sally Evans, Chair of the Board, looks forward to this year’s Tutorial.
“As always it was a difficult decision choosing who should attend the Tutorial, even more so in 2023 with record applications. I know the entire board is excited about the strength, diversity and backgrounds of this year’s candidates and we can’t wait to welcome everyone to the Hunter,” she enthused.