The 2021 Spirited Award winners have been named at the Tales of the Cocktail’s hybrid digital and in-person ceremony in New Orleans.
Given just how hard hit the hospitality industry has been since March last year, Spirited Awards Overall Chair, Charlotte Voisey, said this year’s awards would not judge bars and bartenders, and so this year the award categories were: the Helen David Lifetime Achievement Award, Pioneer Award, Timeless U.S. Award, Timeless International Award, and five writing and media awards.
Voisey said: “As we look back on 202, a year of devastation und unimaginable challenges, we are taking the opportunity to do things differently – to recognise and respect the strength, resilience and, in some cases, loss that has been experienced.
“This is not the time to judge and award bars and bartenders, not when many could not even operate or had significant lapses in employment. And while the pandemic was (and remains global in its impact), the experiences have varied around the world, by region, city and country.
“This is a time to reflect on what we have collectively endured in 2020 so that we can acknowledge what was overcome, and perhaps most importantly, draw from the many creative solutions, born from necessity, that others in the industry can learn from and hopefully benefit from.
“Often, it’s in the hardest times that we see the bravest souls emerge and the most courageous contributions to the industry.”
This year’s award winners:
- Helen David Lifetime Achievement Award: Douglas Ankrah and Jared Brown and Anistatia Miller
- Timeless U.S. Award: Tommy’s Mexican Restaurant, San Francisco
- Timeless International Award: Dukes Bar at the Dukes Hotel, London
- Pioneer Award: Chris Cabrera
Dame Hall of Fame inductees:
- Dame Hall of Fame (United States): Lauren Paylor
- Dame Hall of Fame (International): Sandrae Lawrence
Writing and media winners:
- Best Cocktail & Spirits Publication: Imbibe Magazine
- Best Broadcast, Podcast, or Online Video Series: Life Behind Bars with Noah Rothbaum & David Wondrich
- Best Cocktail & Spirits Writing: “The Myth of the Peaceful Plantation” by Wayne Curtis, Half Full (The Daily Beast)
- Best New Cocktail or Bartending Book: Drinking French: The Iconic Cocktails, Apéritifs, and Café Traditions of France, with 160 Recipes by David Lebovitz (Ten Speed Press)
- Best New Book on Drinks Culture, History, or Spirits: Spirits of Latin America by Ivy Mix with James Carpenter (Ten Speed Press)