By Andy Young
Vintage Cellars has revealed its Best Of Awards winners for 2017, which recognises the retailer’s top performing Australian and international wines, whisky, spirits, craft beers and cider.
New Zealand red, Squealing Pig Syrah, has been named Best Overall Wine and Best Value Red Wine 2017, while the 2017 Winemaker of the Year award went to Kym Teusner of Teusner Wines. Having previously won Best Wine and Best Red in 2016, Teusner was understandably delighted with this year’s accolade and the impact winning the awards has had on his business.
“It blows my mind to be honest. The last 15 years of my life as a winemaker has been an absolute whirlwind. This award means a lot,” Teusner said.
“The exposure has been amazing. We have been plugging away with this blend of Shiraz and Mataro for years, truly believing that it should be the most recognised style coming out of the Barossa. When Vintage Cellars discovered it as 2016’s Wine of The Year, two of our vintages sold out in just four weeks! Until this happened, the recognition of our wine was limited. Since last year’s win, it has become one of the most sought after wines in our range, both in Australia and internationally,” he added.
Judging for the awards is based on three factors: firstly quality and flavour, secondly appearance and thirdly value. Vintage Cellars’ Marketing Manager, Jon Yarnall, said the awards help give store managers and customers a guide on the best products.
“At Vintage Cellars we are incredibly lucky to taste thousands of wines, beers, spirits and ciders to ensure we have the best selection in our stores. The Best Of Awards is a celebration of the wine, beer, spirits and cider that captivated our palates over the past year and stood out from the pack. We know the selection provides a yearly guide for our customers to enjoy the best of the best,” Yarnall said.
The 2017 Best Of Awards winners:
Best Of Wine and Champagne
- Winemaker Of the Year: Kym Tesuner
- Best Non-Vintage Champagne: Delamotte Brut NV
- Best Sparkling: Brown Brothers Patricia Pinot Chardonnay Brut
- Best Value White: Tahbilk Marsanne
- Best Premium White: Soumah Hexham Chardonnay
- Best Overall Wine/Best Value Red: Squealing Pig Syrah
- Best Premium Red: Two Paddocks Pinot Noir
- Best International: Wente Chardonnay
- Best Rosé: Manon Rosé
Best of Beer
- Best Australian Craft Beer: Little Creatures Dog Days Summer Ale
- Best International Craft Beer: Tuatara Tomahawk
- Best Premium/International Beer: Estrella Damm Lager
- Best New Beer: Brewdog Elvis Juice
- Best Cider: Orchard Thieves Crisp Apple Cider
- Brewer of the Year: Little Creatures
Best of Spirits
- Best New World Whisky: Starward Wine Cask Single Malt Whisky
- Best Old World Whisky: The Balvenie 12YO Doublewood Single Malt Scotch Whisky
- Best Gin: St George Terroir Gin
- Best Vodka: Vdka 6100
- Best New Spirit: Bruichladdich Classic Laddie
- Distiller of the Year: St George Spirits