NSW Sommelier’s Wine List Awards has announced its winners in a prestigious awards ceremony at NSW Parliament House.
The awards ceremony saw forty-two finalists competing for the awards in each of the eight categories, along with the 2023 NSW Sommelier’s Wine List of the Year. The ceremony, which took place on Tuesday 27 June, celebrated the quality and diversity of wines produced in NSW.
The awards ceremony was hosted by NSW Wine Industry Association (NSW Wine), who act as an advocate for NSW 16 wine regions, as well as forming a channel of communication with the New South Wales Government.
NSW Wine shone a light on a record number of NSW-based sommeliers and venues who ensure that the states wines are well represented on their outstanding wine lists. Award winners took home some great prizes including expertly guided wine tours, state of the art wine preservation systems and complimentary entry into the 2023 Australia’s Wine List of the Year Awards.
The 2023 NSW Wine President’s Award for Outstanding Support of the NSW Wine Industry was presented at the discretion of Mark Bourne, President of the NSW Wine Industry Association. Bourne celebrated The Newcastle Club with this special award, “they have an extraordinary international wine list, extraordinary service and attention to detail, a wide breadth of NSW wine regions and an impressive 82 NSW wines on their list, which must make them one of the largest NSW wine lists in Australia.”
The winners are as follows:
- 2023 Best NSW Wine List in a Regional NSW venue (<60 seats): Pete Cutcliffe and Jen Paquet from Bill Fishhouse + Bar, Port Macquarie
- 2023 Best NSW Wine List in a Regional NSW venue (>61 seats): Louella Matthews from Bar NSW at The Lookout Echo Point, Blue Mountains
- 2023 Best NSW Wine List in a Regional NSW accommodation venue: Andres Aragon from Blaq at The Kyah Hotel, Blue Mountains
- 2023 Best NSW Wine List in a Sydney venue (<60 seats): Angelica Nohra from The Blue Door, Surry Hills
- 2023 Best NSW Wine List in a Sydney venue (>61 seats): Piers Haszard from Botswana Butchery, Sydney
- 2023 Best NSW Wine List in a Sydney accommodation venue: Vicenzo Sanna from Atelier by Sofitel, Sydney
- 2023 Best NSW Wine List by a Caterer or in a Functions venue: William Wilson from ICC Sydney, Darling Harbour
- 2023 NSW Wine President’s Award for Outstanding Support of the NSW Wine Industry: Matt Underwood from The Newcastle Club, Newcastle
- 2023 NSW Sommelier’s Wine List of the Year: Piers Hazard from Botswana Butchery, Sydney
Special thanks were given to the forty-two finalists who have been praised for their commitment to showcasing the great wines of NSW.