The winners of the 2017 Australian Cider Awards have been revealed, with Irish cider, Magners Original Apple, being named as the Best in Show.
This year saw the largest ever field of entries for the awards, with 250 local and international ciders taking part, and the gala dinner to honour the winner took place in Melbourne on Friday.
The judges said that Magners Original Apple was awarded the top prize because “it displayed a perfect balance of sugar, tannin and overall complexity combined with toasty, savoury, creamy notes – the ‘wow’ factor that helped this product rise to the top”.
St Ronan’s with Methode Traitionelle Heritage was awarded Best Australian Cider or Perry as well as taking out the Best Traditional Cider award.
The Most Successful Small Producer award, for producers of less than 50,000 litres per year went to Small Acres Cyder, while the Most Successful Larger Producer, for over 50,000 litres per year, went to Westons Cider.
The night also saw the inaugural Champion of the Industry award, which was awarded to Drew Henry, who passed away earlier this year.
Cider Australia President Sam Reid said new award honours individuals who have made an outstanding contribution to the Australian cider industry over a prolonged period of time.
“The award was presented posthumously to Harcourt orchardist and cider maker Drew Henry,” said Reid.
“Drew was a passionate advocate for craft cider, a generous educator and a leader in his field, and the Australian cider industry is in a better place as a result of Drew’s involvement.”
- Best in Show – Magners with Original Apple
- Best Traditional Cider – St Ronan’s with Methode Traditionelle Heritage
- Best New World Cider – Magners with Original Apple
- Best Perry – Carmel Cider with Pear
- Best Cider and Perry Blend – LOBO Cider with Apple & Pear
- Best Intensified/Distilled Cider or Perry – Small Acres Cyder with 2015 Pomona Ice
- Best Australian Cider or Perry – St Ronan’s with Methode Traditionelle Heritage
- Best International Cider or Perry – Magners with Original Apple
- Most Successful Small Producer (< 50,000 litres per year) – Small Acres Cyder
- Most Successful Larger Producer (>50,000 litres per year) – Westons Cider
- Inaugural Champion of the Industry Award – Drew Henry
Best in Class
- New World Dry Cider – Winter Brook Vintage Cider 2016, Winter Brook
- Traditional Dry Cider – Willie Smiths Somerset Red Streak Dry Cider, William Smith & Sons
- New World Medium Cider – Original Apple, Magners
- Traditional Medium Cider – Wyld Wood Organic Apple, Westons Cider
- New World Sweet Cider – Squashed Apple Cider, The Barossa Cider Co
- Traditional Sweet Cider – LOBO Royale, LOBO Cider
- Method Traditional (disgorged) Cider – Methode Traditionelle Heritage, St Ronan’s
- New World Dry Perry – Pear Perry, Spreyton Cider Co
- Traditional Dry Perry – No entries
- New World Medium Perry – Packham Pear, The Cider Lab
- Traditional Medium Perry – Pear Cider, Twisted Sister Cider
- New World Sweet Perry – Mr Finch Pear Perry (Bottle), Mr Finch
- Traditional Sweet Perry – No entries
- Method Traditional (disgorged) Perry – Pear, Carmel Cider
- Speciality/Experimental Cider or Perry – The Hills Cider Company Hop Edition, The Hills Cider Company
- Apple and Pear Blends – LOBO Apple & Pear, LOBO Cider
- Cider or Perry with Fruit – The Hills Cider Company Apple Ginger, The Hills Cider Company
- Ice Cider or Perry – Small Acres Cyder 2015 Pomona Ice, Small Acres Cyder
- Pommeau – Small Acres Cyder 2010 Pommeau, Small Acres Cyder
- Apple or Pear Spirit – The Hills Cider Company, Adelaide Hills Distillery Virgin Apple Spirit